Low Carb Brisket for Passover Recipe by Barbo GoldPrint
Aunt Sadie’s Low Carb Brisket Recipe for Passover
This is our main dish for Seder. Been making this since Aunt Sadie taught me over 60 years ago!
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 beef brisket, 5-6 pounds
- 3 very large onions, sliced fairly thin
- 12 whole allspice (Do NOT use powdered allspice!)
- Garlic powder
- Hungarian paprika
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove any excess fat from brisket, but leave a little on top. Place one half of the onions and 6 allspice on bottom of a roasting pan–use a good roasting pan with a lid that fits well or cover it with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray pan and inside of lid with Pam. Season the brisket on both sides with a salt, pepper, garlic powder and lots of Hungarian paprika. Place on top of the onions in the pan, and layer the rest of the onions on top, along with the remaining 6 allspice.
- Add about 1 c. water. Cover, and place in 325 F oven. It’s going to cook about three hours.
- After one hour check to see if more water is needed. The house will smell wonderful. Keep checking every so often to see if water is needed, and add as required.
- When brisket is fork tender remove and let get cold. Strain the juices to remove the whole allspice; discard. Then place everything into a Vita Mix or blender and whirl until you have thick natural gravy. Yummmmm! Thin with beef broth if you feel it needs it.
- When the brisket is cool, slice it very thin across the grain. Lay slices in a baking pan and layer like this: gravy on bottom, then slices of brisket, gravy and slices until you have used it all up. Cover tightly and refrigerate over night. Warm in oven before serving.
Barbo says the onions make the gravy, so don’t stint. If you can’t get really big onions, use one or two extra of the average-sized ones. Assuming a 5 pound brisket and 8 servings, each will have approximately: 995 Calories; 83g Fat (76.2% calories from fat); 53g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g usable carb
- Calories: 995
- Fat: 83g (76.2% calories from fat)
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 53g