Written by Di Bauer September 29, 2001 Updated March 20, 2023
Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Primal, Nut-Free
Italian Meatball Stew Low-Carb Gluten-Free RecipePrint
Italian Meatball Stew Low-Carb Gluten-Free Recipe
Italian Meatball Stew is a delicious addition to your Low-Carb Gluten-Free winter menu line up. Nothing is more comforting on a cold winter’s day than a nice hot bowl of stew. If you’re like me, you probably start to cook and freeze a few of your favorite soups and stews as soon as fall turns to winter. It freezes well and will be a big hit with your family and friends.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Primal, Nut-Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper (any color), sliced
- 1 14–ounce can beef broth
- 1 28–ounce can crushed tomatoes, organic
- 1–2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 small OR 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 small OR 2 medium crookneck squash, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 recipe Italian Meatballs, completely thawed to room temperature if frozen
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (for garnish optional)
- Pour the olive oil into a large skillet and heat it over medium high heat. Add the diced onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the skillet and saute them for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onion just begins to wilt.
- Add the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, oregano, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cover the skillet. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, crookneck squash, mushrooms, and meatballs to the stew. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer, or until the squash and mushrooms are tender and the meatballs are heated through.
- Place the stew in large soup bowls. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the stew in each bowl and serve immediately.
This stew freezes and reheats very well.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 397mg
- Fat: 4g (32 Calories from Fat)
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g (11g net carbs)
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
More Low-Carb Soup recipes.
Here’s why our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is worth checking out
- Learn to Cook Healthy Meals: The series is designed to teach you how to cook healthy, low-carb meals that are both delicious and nutritious. You’ll learn how to prepare a variety of dishes that are perfect for anyone looking to eat healthier.
- Improve Your Health: Low-carb diets have been shown to have many health benefits, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Save Money: Cooking your own meals can be a great way to save money, and our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series will teach you how to prepare delicious meals without breaking the bank.
- Easy to Follow: The lessons are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips and tricks to make cooking low-carb meals a breeze.
- Variety of Recipes: Our series offers a wide variety of low-carb recipes, from appetizers and snacks to main courses and desserts, so you’ll never get bored with your meals.
Overall, our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is a great resource for anyone looking to improve their health, save money, and learn to cook healthy, delicious meals. Whether you’re a beginner cook or an experienced chef, our series has something to offer everyone.
Visit our Low-Carb Cooking 101 Recipe Lessons series.