An older Low-Carb bagel recipe that uses vital wheat gluten as the main flour.Print
Low-Carb Bagel Recipe
An older Low-Carb bagel recipe that uses vital wheat gluten and pecan meal as the main flours.
- Yield: 10 bagels 1x
- Diet: Diabetic
- 1/2 tablespoon yeast – (or 1/2 of a packet)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar -(will be eaten by yeast)
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pecan meal – (or almond meal, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons protein powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 quarts water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon ice water
- Proof the yeast in the warm water and sugar.
- Mix the flour, nut meal, and protein powder in a bowl. Add in yeast mixture. Mix to combine the ingredients, and then add in the 1 large egg and the salt. Mix together to form the dough. (Dough will be smooth and elastic. If it is sticky, add a little more vital wheat gluten.)
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes and then place in a well-oiled bowl. Coat the dough with the oil, cover, and place in a warm draft-free place until it is doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and knead for another 2 minutes. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces.
- In the meantime, prepare a well-buttered cookie sheet. Shape the pieces of dough into balls, then flatten the balls and cut out a donut hole in the middle. Place the bagels on the buttered cookie sheets.
- Let the formed bagels rest for 8-10 minutes on the buttered cookie sheets.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add the baking soda and cream of tartar. (This is very important because bagels will shrink without these two ingredients in the water.)
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully place 3 bagels at a time in the pot and cook for 2 minutes on each side. (They will puff up considerably in the water.) Place the boiled bagels back on the buttered cookie sheet and repeat the process until all the bagels have been boiled in the water.
- Combine the egg yolk and ice water to form an egg wash. Brush the bagels with the egg wash. (You may sprinkle the bagels with your favorite toppings at this point.)
- Place the bagels in a preheated 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
They are so delish! It takes some time to make this, but I think it was worth it!
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 480mg
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: trace
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: Low-Carb, Bagel
Recipe By : Danielle Michalski
More Low-Carb Bread recipes.