Updated Monday, October 25, 2021.
From the article Beginning Or Restarting A Low Carb Diet.
Low-Carb & Keto Stuffed Peppers RecipePrint
Low-Carb & Keto Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Cover the peppers with plastic wrap and microwave on high for ten minutes, or bake them, uncovered, in a 350-degree oven until the peppers are softened.
- Diet: Diabetic
- 4 large or 6 smaller green peppers, seeded, stems removed a head of cauliflower OR a pound of frozen cauliflower, chopped fine
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces grated cheese, optional (I used cheddar.)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup lowest-carb tomato sauce you can find
- olive oil or bacon drippings
- 1 packet sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (I used balsamic, though cider is lower in carbohydrates and also good)1 clove garlic, crushed, or equivalent in garlic powder or jarred, minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons herbs of your choice (I used parsley.)
- salt and pepper
- any seasonings you like, to taste (I like Tony Crachere’s Creole Seasoning in it)
- Cook the onion and garlic in olive oil or bacon drippings. Cook and crumble the sausage in the same pan. Add the cauliflower, cook briefly. Season to taste.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce, most of the cheese (optional), and the egg.
- While the filling is cooking, trim the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds and any gunk inside.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture.
- Mix the remaining tomato sauce with the artificial sweetener, vinegar, and if you wish, some allspice or herbs or Creole seasoning.
- Put the peppers into the baking dish and spoon the sauce over the tops. Top with remaining grated cheese, if desired.
- Cover the peppers with plastic wrap and microwave on high for ten minutes, or bake them, uncovered, in a 350-degree oven until the peppers are softened.