Written by Di Bauer August 20, 2001, Updated by Andrew DiMino March 20, 2023
Low Carb Cooking 101
Sometimes there is no need to cook dinner for the whole family, but you still need to eat and want something quick. The week’s meal of Pizza Frittata & Tossed Salad fits the bill, and requires virtually no planning or preparation. You probably have all the ingredients already on hand, and can put the whole meal together in less than 15 minutes.
This week we are going to discuss the importance of presentation. Eating alone does not mean that you forget about the components of an aesthetically pleasing meal! Set the table; do not gulp this or any meal down while sitting in front of the computer! Use a real plate, not a paper or plastic one, and put your water in a goblet, not a plastic mug from a discount store or (heaven forbid) right out of the plastic bottle!
So, why go to all the extra trouble? Because if you don’t treat yourself well, who on earth is going to? You should treat yourself as well as your treat not just your family, but your company. You deserve it!
Since I began low carbing, I have spent some time accumulating a variety of tablecloths, placemats, napkins, candles, and seasonal table decorations for the kitchen table. I can now change the table decor each month for a new look, and all that’s needed for a nice presentation is to add the silverware and napkins and light the candles.
Some of the themes are based on holidays; some are seasonal. It’s taken me a couple of years to do this because I’m seriously cheap and only buy things after the holiday or season when they are steeply discounted, but it’s been worth it.
I buy a boatload of candles after Christmas when they are 50% to 75% off. If you buy plain candles in red, white, green, and blue, you can cover most of the traditional holidays with them. For example, in July I took out pillar candles of varying heights in red, white, and blue. I bought flag stickers and stuck them in a row on the top and bottom of a tall dark blue candle. I bought glittery silver star stickers and put them on the shorter red candle, and painted alternating lines of red and blue on the small white candle. The candles are grouped on a nice dinner plate with a red rim and are placed in the center of the table, which is covered with a red, white, and blue star-spangled tablecloth.
At the end of the month, I will wash the tablecloth and put it, the candles, and any other 4th of July decorations I have in a box labeled “July” and put it away until next year. Out will come the August table decorations, and I’ll have a whole new look for the kitchen!
One cautionary note, though: do not store boxes with candles in your attic or crawl space! I did this one year and ended up with blobs of melted wax that only an abstract artist like Paul Klee would appreciate. I’ll bet this has never happened to Martha Stewart!
Here are This Evening’s Low-Carb Recipes
Here’s The Gameplan
The Pizza Frittata cooks very quickly, so set the table and prepare the salad before you begin cooking. Do not add the dressing to the salad, though, until you are ready to eat.
Prepare all the toppings for the frittata before you begin cooking the eggs. Preheat the broiler and then continue on according to the recipe directions.
In less than 15 minutes you will be sitting down to a well-deserved, relaxing meal.
Here’s why our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is worth checking out
- Learn to Cook Healthy Meals: The series is designed to teach you how to cook healthy, low-carb meals that are both delicious and nutritious. You’ll learn how to prepare a variety of dishes that are perfect for anyone looking to eat healthier.
- Improve Your Health: Low-carb diets have been shown to have many health benefits, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Save Money: Cooking your own meals can be a great way to save money, and our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series will teach you how to prepare delicious meals without breaking the bank.
- Easy to Follow: The lessons are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips and tricks to make cooking low-carb meals a breeze.
- Variety of Recipes: Our series offers a wide variety of low-carb recipes, from appetizers and snacks to main courses and desserts, so you’ll never get bored with your meals.
Overall, our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is a great resource for anyone looking to improve their health, save money, and learn to cook healthy, delicious meals. Whether you’re a beginner cook or an experienced chef, our series has something to offer everyone.
Visit our Low-Carb Cooking 101 Recipe Lessons series.