September 16th is El Grito de la Independencia (“Cry of Independence” – Mexican Independence Day) and this year marks the 202nd anniversary of Mexico winning independence from Spanish rule.
According to the Presidio La Bahia website:
“In the early nineteenth century, Mexico, with a little influence from the US and France, began talking about a revolt against Spain. Father Miguel Hidalgo from Dolores, Mexico, was a leader of one of the rallying groups. Hidalgo and his officers were planning a revolt for late fall of 1810. The Spanish people found out about the revolt which led the Spanish Government to order the arrest of Hidalgo and his officers. When Hidalgo found out, he called a meeting at his church. He rang the church bell on the night of September 15, 1810 to call his congregation to mass. Here Father Hidalgo rallied the people to fight. He gave the speech which is now known as ‘Grito de Delores’, saying ‘Viva Mexico’ and ‘Viva la independencia!’ These famous words have been remembered and are said each year at the Independence Day celebrations.”
Read the full description here.
The celebration is very patriotic for the Mexican culture. Celebrations throughout Mexico, the United States and the world highlight the strength of the Mexican family and Mexican heritage. Lots of good food and good cheer will be the order of the day.
Low-Carb Mexican recipes you can make to celebrate El Grito de la Independencia
- Mariachi Pork Chops and Mexican Cole Slaw
- Chicken Breasts Ole, Mexi-Gratin Fauxtatoes, Molded Gazpacho Salad, & Tequila Sunrise (Non-Alcoholic)
- Low Carb South Of The Border Chicken, Green Beans Ole & Mexicali Cole Slaw
- Low Carb Fiesta Meatloaf, Mexi-Gratin Fauxtatoes, Red Pepper Bean Medley, Southwest Deviled Eggs, & Pina Colada Mocktail
- Low Carb Fiesta Fish Fillets
- Mexican Chicken Pizza
Some pre-made items to help speed up preparation:
- R.W. Garcia Lower Carb Flaxseed Tortilla Chips 7 oz. bags
- Low Carb High Fiber Tortillas by La Tortilla Factory
- Green Mountain Gringo Salsa
- Baja Bob’s Powdered Margarita & Daiquiri Mixes
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Drink Mixes – 1 Liter Plastic Bottle
Are you doing anything special for Low Carb Mexican Independence Day?