Updated Nov. 7, 2012.
Thanksgiving Day originated in America. It will fall on November 22 in the year 2012. Celebrated as the national holiday in the United States to commemorate the harvest reaped by the Plymouth Colony in 1621 after a winter of great starvation and privation, this day was proclaimed as a Thanksgiving Day in that year itself by the then Governor William Bradford and the feast was shared by all the colonists and the neighboring Native Americans. Since then, the tradition of observing the Thanksgiving Day has continued. George Washington proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving Day on November 26th, 1789.
Thanksgiving Day, as the name itself suggests, is a time to offer thanks. On this occasion there are family gatherings and holiday meals, giant balloons and holiday parades. It’s the time for all the fun with your family.
On the dinner table turkey is the most common item. The rest of the table is usually a smorgasbord of very high carbohydrate side dishes, snacks and desserts. BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!
Here are some of the best articles about having a low carb holiday season:
- Low Carb Thanksgiving Tips by Dana Carpender
- More Low Carb Thanksgiving Tips by Dana Carpender
- Low Carb Stuffing Recipes by Dana Carpender
- You Can Have Gravy For Your Thanksgiving Dinner by Dana Carpender
- Refusing Holiday Food by Dana Carpender
- Thanksgiving Day Leftovers – Includes Her Turkey Tetrazinni Recipe by Dana Carpender
- Low Carb Cooking 101: Lesson #30: Complete Low Carb Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner by Di Bauer
- Turkey-Lurkey by Zack Grady
- A Low Carb Thanksgiving Something To Really Be Thankful For by Rani Merens
- How to Survive a Holiday Meal by Di Bauer
- Leaving An Old Thanksgiving Tradition Behind: Friends Should Not Let Friends Give Fruitcakes by Zack Grady
- Budget Low Carb – Make Lucky Thanksgiving Day Turkey Leftovers
- Low Carb, No-Sugar-Added Cranberry Sauce!
- Cornbread Dressing VS Bread Dressing In A Low Carb World – Thanksgiving Nightmares
Low Carb Christmas/Holiday Articles:
- A Gourmet Christmas by Zack Grady
- The Twelve Days of Christmas by Denise C. Lopez
- The Twelve Days Of Christmas Part II: The Aftermath by Denise C. Lopez
- Low Carb Holiday Gifts by Dana Carpender
- A Letter From Santa By Brian Pierce
- Make Someone Happy with Low Carb Gifts by Amy Dungan
- Make Ahead Holiday Recipes, Part I: Appetizers by Di Bauer
- Make Ahead Holiday Recipes, Part II: Main and Side Dishes by Di Bauer
- Make Ahead Holiday Recipes, Part III: Holiday Desserts by Di Bauer
- Men’s Bacon Meat Tie: A Great Holiday Gift