Low Carb Cooking 101
Written by Di Bauer August 11, 2001 Updated by Andrew DiMino January 10, 2023
Low Carb Lesson #7: Turkey Burgers & More
Turkey Burgers & More is a fine summer meal that can largely be prepared ahead of time. It’s great for lazy weekend evenings when you don’t want to spend a great deal of time in the kitchen. This meal is a great one to serve guests outside on a picnic table on a shady patio.
With this meal we are again striving for an appealing combination of colors, complimentary tastes, and interesting textures. The addition of a cranberry relish to the turkey burgers adds some flair to an otherwise bland burger, and the apple flavor of the stuffed celery compliments the cranberries.
By adding some slivers of roasted red bell peppers to the steamed broccoli, you are adding both interest and flavor for a very small amount of carbohydrates.
Here are This Evening’s Low-Carb Recipes
Here’s The Gameplan
The Low Carb Cranberry Relish can be made up to several days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve the meal. Do make it ahead of time when it is convenient so that you don’t have to fuss with making it while you’re cooking the rest of the meal.
In the same vein, the cheese mixture for the Apple-Walnut Stuffed Celery can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, and the celery can be washed and prepared and stored in the refrigerator’s vegetable bin wrapped in a damp paper towel and sealed in a Zip-Lock bag.
The turkey burgers can be prepared the night or morning before the meal and refrigerated if they are well-wrapped to prevent them from drying out.
Assuming that you have prepared the Low Carb Cranberry Relish and the components of the Apple-Walnut Stuffed Celery ahead of time, if frozen, take the ground turkey and the broccoli spears out of the freezer the night before the meal and place them in the refrigerator to thaw.
This meal goes together very quickly, so set the table before you start cooking.
Take the prepared celery and apple walnut stuffing out of the refrigerator and stuff the celery. Put the celery on a pretty serving plate and cover it lightly with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the meat. This can be done ahead of time if you wish.
Preheat the broiler while you make the turkey burgers, then place them in the broiler to cook the first side. While the burgers are cooking, cook the broccoli according to the package directions if you’re using frozen broccoli or steam it on the stove if using fresh.
Take the burgers out of the oven, flip them over, and return them to the oven to finish cooking. Either in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave, warm the Low Carb Cranberry Relish to heat it. Drain the cooked broccoli and finish preparing it according to the recipe instructions, but leave it in the pan until the burgers are done so that it stays warm.
When the burgers are completely cooked, take them out of the oven and transfer them to serving plates. Garnish the burgers with the warm Low Carb Cranberry Relish. Serve the broccoli alongside the burgers. Take the plates to the table, take the Apple Walnut Stuffed Celery out of the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, and place it on the table so that people can take what they want.
Now sit down to a well-deserved, relaxing meal.
Here’s why our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is worth checking out
- Learn to Cook Healthy Meals: The series is designed to teach you how to cook healthy, low-carb meals that are both delicious and nutritious. You’ll learn how to prepare a variety of dishes that are perfect for anyone looking to eat healthier.
- Improve Your Health: Low-carb diets have been shown to have many health benefits, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Save Money: Cooking your own meals can be a great way to save money, and our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series will teach you how to prepare delicious meals without breaking the bank.
- Easy to Follow: The lessons are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips and tricks to make cooking low-carb meals a breeze.
- Variety of Recipes: Our series offers a wide variety of low-carb recipes, from appetizers and snacks to main courses and desserts, so you’ll never get bored with your meals.
Overall, our Low-Carb Cooking Lesson series is a great resource for anyone looking to improve their health, save money, and learn to cook healthy, delicious meals. Whether you’re a beginner cook or an experienced chef, our series has something to offer everyone.
Visit our Low-Carb Cooking 101 Recipe Lessons series.