Written by Di Bauer June 15, 2002 Updated March 7, 2015
Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Nut-Free
Creamed Spinach Low-Carb Gluten-Free RecipePrint
Creamed Spinach Low-Carb Gluten-Free Recipe
Perfect with almost any meal, Low-Carb Gluten-Free creamed spinach is one of my favorite side dishes. Because it is so rich and creamy your kids won’t even mind the spinach; mine have grown to love it! You can use fresh spinach in this recipe, but I find the frozen to be a little quicker and easier to work with when creaming. If you have leftovers try adding some to an omelet for an extra special treat.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Nut-Free
- 5 tablespoons grass-fed butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons Healthsmart bake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 10–ounce packages frozen chopped organic spinach, thawed with the excess moisture squeezed out
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Over medium low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan or small skillet. Stir in the low carb bake mix and salt until creamed together.
- Combine the heavy cream and ¼ cup of the water. Stir the cream/water mixture into the butter/bake mix a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- Increase to medium heat. Continue stirring with the whisk until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Remove the saucepan or skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, add the minced onions, and cook until the onions are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and remaining ¼ cup of water to the pan, lower the heat and cover. Stir several times until the spinach is almost completely cooked.
- When spinach is almost done, add the white sauce and sour cream. Stir well and simmer until completely blended.
This reheats very well. It can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove or baked at 350° F for 30 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
Try slipping a portion of the leftovers into the middle of an omelet.
- Serving Size: ½ Cup
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 25g (214 Calories from Fat)
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6g (3g Net Carbs)
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 12g