Originally published 9/2/2013, Updated 09/14/2019.
Low-Carb Gluten-Free Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
Cost Per Serving: $1.24
Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
This hearty soup fills you up with every bowl! Even the kids will love it. Recipe: $9.92 Cost Per Serving: $1.24
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Low-Carb
- 1 pound sausage, breakfast, pork, pan, hot, raw
- 8 ounces bone-in chicken breast half with skin, cut into 2–3 pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, stewed, Italian Style, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 quart Chicken or Turkey Bone Broth recipe
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed or sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Crumble sausage into a heavy Dutch oven.
- Brown over medium high until starting to color and fat renders. Sausage will still be pink in the center.
- Remove from pan and add chicken breast.
- Brown on all sides (about 4 minutes).
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms.
- Sauté 5 minutes, until mushrooms are brown and onions are almost translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and return sausage and chicken to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits into the soup–they add flavor.
- Cook covered for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces. Bone, remove skin and chop meat.
- Add zucchini to soup and cook another 20 minutes.
- When zucchini is just tender, add chicken back to soup and serve.
- Top with Parmesan cheese! Mangia!
- Serving Size: ⅛ Recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 19g (57.8% calories from fat)
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11g (9g Net Carb)
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
More great Susie T Gibbs recipes.
CarbSmart's Budget Low Carb is pleased to bring you one soup three ways. Join us in learning how to make bone broth soup, a natural gelatin-filled, liquid elixir. We’ll also make Quick Faux Pho made with gorgeous white meat and shirataki noodles, as well as Italian Chicken Vegetable soup jam-packed with fresh veggies and home-style Italian flavor.
Return to the article Budget Low Carb: A Chicken in Every Pot.
Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.