Low-Carb Gluten-Free Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
Cost Per Serving: $1.24
- Serves: 8 Servings
- Serving size: ⅛ Recipe
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 19g (57.8% calories from fat)
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbs: 11g (9g Net Carb)
- Sugar: 0g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1 pound sausage, breakfast, pork, pan, hot, raw
- 8 ounces bone-in chicken breast half with skin, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 14½ ounces tomatoes, canned, stewed, Italian Style, Del Monte, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 quart Chicken or Turkey Bone Broth (recipe above)
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed or sliced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Crumble breakfast sausage into a heavy Dutch oven. Brown over medium high until starting to color and fat renders. Sausage will still be pink in the center. Remove from pan and add chicken breast. Brown on all sides (about 4 minutes). Remove from pan. Add onion, green bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms. Sauté 5 minutes, until mushrooms are brown and onions are almost translucent. Add remaining ingredients and return sausage and chicken to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits into the soup–they add flavor. Cook covered for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces. Bone, remove skin and chop meat. Add zucchini to soup and cook another 20 minutes. When zucchini is just tender, add chicken back to soup and serve. Top with Parmesan cheese!
More Low-Carb Soup recipes.
Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.